“It takes time to cultivate relationships.” Mack Collier has been cultivating relationships for a long time. The social media strategist, speaker, and author has been blogging for 12 years and has hosted the Twitter chat #Blogchat since March 2009. He’s also the author of the book, Think Like a Rockstar: How to Create Social Media and Marketing Strategies That Turn Customers Into Fans. We discussed all of this and more on this week’s episode of the On Brand podcast.
About Mack Collier
Recognized by Forbes as one of the Top 25 Social Media Marketers in the World, Mack Collier is a social media strategist, trainer, and speaker located in Alabama that specializes in helping companies better connect with its customers via social media and digital marketing channels. His clients include businesses of all sizes, from sole proprietorships to Fortune 100 companies. Some of the companies Mack has worked with include Dell, Adobe, Paper.li, Red Lion Hotels, Club Med, and much more.
Mack is a highly sought-after speaker on social media and customer-engagement topics and has presented at some of the top social media conferences and events, including South By Southwest Interactive, Blog World and New Media Expo, Content Marketing World, and Social Media Tourism Symposium. Additionally, Mack has spoken and trained on-site with companies such as Delphi, BazaarVoice, Dell, Utica National Insurance Group and much more.
Additionally, Mack’s thoughts and expertise on Marketing, Brand Advocacy and Social Media have been sought by some of the world’s most prestigious news sources, including The Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, USA Today, CNBC, ESPN, The Washington Post, CNET and Entrepreneur Magazine. His first business book, Think Like A Rock Star: How to Create Social Media and Marketing Strategies That Turn Customers Into Fans was published in 2013 by McGraw-Hill and is an Amazon Best Seller.
BREAKING NEWS – You don’t have to be everywhere! “In 2008–2010, there was a social media land grab with new networks coming out almost weekly. And everybody was on them for about a week!” Mack pointed out that we only have so much time for so many tools. We have to take time and figure out what works best and when.
How can brand builders today keep up with all of the shiny new things out there? “If you understand the behavior — the ‘why’ behind something — you can spot the trends.” Forget about all of the social networks your customers are on. Instead, focus on what they’re doing there. What are they getting from the experience?
How can you create brand ambassadors and brand advocacy? One thing Mack pointed us to was not missing the potential ambassadors you already have, who already love you. “You have to listen first.”
Where to start … “It takes time to cultivate relationships. That’s why my advice is to start small and then go big if you can.”
What brand has made Mack smile recently? Collier shared a story on how the small town where he lives saved him from having to go to the Walmart Super Center by adding a Publix. “It’s a completely different customer experience. They’re just nailing the basics.”
As We Wrap …
Did you hear something you liked on this episode or another? Do you have a question you’d like our guests to answer? Let me know on Twitter using the hashtag #OnBrandPodcast and you may just hear your thoughts here on the show.
- Subscribe to the podcast – You can subscribe to the show via iTunes, Stitcher, and RSS.
- Rate and review the show – If you like what you’re hearing, head over to iTunes and click that 5-star button to rate the show. And if you have a few extra seconds, write a couple of sentences and submit a review. This helps others find the podcast.
- OK. How do you rate and review a podcast? Need a quick tutorial on leaving a rating/review in iTunes? Check this out.
- Register now and SAVE for Social Brand Forum 2017 — September 14, 2017, at the Iowa Memorial Union featuring past On Brand guests Jason Falls, Marcus Sheridan, Melissa Agnes, and more. Learn more.
- Remember – On Brand is brought to you by my new book — Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small. Order now at Amazon and check out GetScrappyBook.com for special offers and extras.
Until next week, I’ll see you on the Internet!