“The new normal is that there is no normal.” Geoffrey Colon opened this week’s episode of the On Brand podcast with these daunting words. Colon, a self-described data punk, DJ, podcaster, and author, serves as a communications designer and Microsoft. He also just released a new book on this very topic Disruptive Marketing. We discussed all of this and more on this week’s episode of the podcast.
Enjoy This Episode Now
About Geoffrey Colon
Geoffrey Colon works at the intersection of marketing, tech, and popular culture. Data punk, DJ, podcaster, and author, Geoffrey is a communications designer at Microsoft, where he markets search advertising products for Bing. He has written for The Futurist, Advertising Age, and Fast Company, and been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Billboard Magazine, The Guardian and The Los Angeles Times. He has also appeared on NPR and Cheddar TV.
Colon has written his first book Disruptive Marketing: What Growth Hackers, Data Punks, and Other Hybrid Thinkers Can Teach Us About Navigating the New Normal (AMACOM) out now on Kindle, Audio and Hardcover.
Prior to joining Microsoft in 2013, Geoffrey was vice president of digital strategy at Ogilvy & Mather, digital community supervisor at 360i, and social media strategist at Bond Strategy and Influence in New York City. Colon has done work for and with several of the most influential brands including Spotify, Netflix, American Express, IBM, The Economist, USA Network, WWE, History Channel and Red Bull. He also has worked with several high profile music artists including Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, The White Stripes, and Moby. He is a graduate of Lehigh University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism and Mass Communication.
Geoffrey is host of the weekly marketing podcast for eccentric minds Disruptive FM, producer and host of video blog series The Disruptive Marketer and regularly writes on LinkedIn, Medium, DisruptiveMarketer.net and the Microsoft Search Advertising blog. He is an avid speaker on the global marketing conference circuit.
Forget the technology. After scaring us about the new normal and the constant disruptions marketers today face, Colon reminded us not to start with the technology. It’s easy to get distracted by these bright, shiny things.
Segmenting or stereotyping? “Sometimes we focus too much on demographics. On millennials and baby boomers. Instead of on interests and roles. Both B2B and B2C marketers can do this.”
Why engagement matters. At times, digital engagement can be a buzzword in marketing. However, Colon cautions us not to under-estimate simple engagement. “This can be entry-level predictive analysis. They want to hear from you. What really motivates your audience?”
What business brands can learn from celebrity brands. Colon has worked with many artists and musicians. Due to the disruptions around us, both business brands and celebrity brands have to constantly adapt to stay ahead. Celebrities are small, scrappy, and fearless. This makes them open to trying new things, experimenting, and even failing. You’ve still learned something — even from a failure.
What brand has made Geoffrey smile recently? “Aerie. They’re now creating digital ads that use real women instead of models. As a father with daughters that really makes me smile.”
As We Wrap …
Did you hear something you liked on this episode or another? Do you have a question you’d like our guests to answer? Let me know on Twitter using the hashtag #OnBrandPodcast and you may just hear your thoughts here on the show.
- Subscribe to the podcast – You can subscribe to the show via iTunes, Stitcher, and RSS.
- Rate and review the show – If you like what you’re hearing, head over to iTunes and click that 5-star button to rate the show. And if you have a few extra seconds, write a couple of sentences and submit a review. This helps others find the podcast.
- OK. How do you rate and review a podcast? Need a quick tutorial on leaving a rating/review in iTunes? Check this out.
- Remember – On Brand is brought to you by my new book — Get Scrappy: Smarter Digital Marketing for Businesses Big and Small. Order now at Amazon and check out GetScrappyBook.com for special offers and extras.
- And finally a reminder that On Brand is brought to you by the Social Brand Forum. This premier digital marketing experience takes place September 22-23 in beautiful Iowa City, Iowa. Learn from experts like Jay Baer, Joe Pulizzi, and Gini Dietrtich in the heart of the heartland. Listeners of the show get the best rate when they register using promo code ONBRAND at socialbrandforum.com.
Until next week, I’ll see you on the Internet!